My flaily fangirl page for all the things giving purpose to my life.
Is it too much to ask for a tv show to make a hero’s/protagonist’s transition into anti-hero/antagonist (or vice versa) something that requires an actual journey? I’m so tired of characters just randomly becoming evil/insane or pure/tame within one or two episodes - that level of unrealistic character transformation just pisses me off.
Perfect example of how to do it right - Shane/Carol from The Walking Dead. Perfect example of how to do it wrong - every show other than TWD.
I’m watching Dominion at the moment, and they absolutely just ruined Anthony Head’s character. He went from a flawlessly executed antagonist to a mindless “broken” and weak-willed character in less than 2 episodes. (rest of the rant in the “read more” area)Read more
A masterpost of the Stereotyping Tropes from TVtropes.org. This list is identical to the one linked above, save the addition of Indigenous peoples, which was added. Check for the titles with links, as it leads to more pages of tropes.
For an assortment of other related tropes, some not mentioned here, see “Race Tropes" as well as "Prejudice Tropes.”Advice on handling characters that lean towards harmful portrayals can be found in the tropes & stereotypes tags at writingwithcolor.
- Crazy Cultural Comparison
- Culture Equals Costume
- Dirty Foreigner
- Europe Index
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- Foreign Queasine
- Foreign Wrestling Heel
- Funny Foreigner
- Hollywood Atlas
- Hollywood Cuisine
- International Showdown By Proxy
- Made In Country X
- Mistaken Nationality
- National Stereotypes
- National Stereotypes North America
- National Stereotypes Asia
- National Stereotypes Western Europe
- National Stereotypes Eastern Europe
- Non-Specifically Foreign
- Phenotype Stereotype
- Quirky Neighbour Country
- Regional Riff
- Savage Piercings
- Stock Foreign Name
- Undisclosed Native
- Angry Black Man
- Magical Negro
- Malcolm Xerox
- Sassy Black Woman
- Scary Black Man
- Uncle Tomfoolery
- The All-American Boy
- America Saves the Day
- America Takes Over the World
- America Wins the War
- Americans Are Cowboys
- Brooklyn Rage
- Minnesota Nice
- Patriotic Fervor
- Southern-Fried Private
- Tipis And Totem Poles
- Wacky Americans Have Wacky Names
- We All Live in America
- All Asians Wear Conical Straw Hats
- Asian Airhead
- Asian and Nerdy
- Asian Drivers
- Asian Rudeness
- Asian Store-Owner
- Dragon Lady
- Dragons Up the Yin Yang
- Identical-Looking Asians
- Inscrutable Oriental
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures
- Mighty Whitey and Mellow Yellow
- Yellow Peril
- Evil Brit
- The Mean Brit
- Quintessential British Gentleman
- Smart People Speak The Queen’s English
- Spot of Tea
- Stiff Upper Lip
- British Stuffiness
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- French Cuisine Is Haughty
- French Jerk
- Gay Paree
- All Germans Are Nazis
- Germanic Depressives
- Germanic Efficiency
- Herr Doktor
- Badass Native
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins
- The Chief’s Daughter
- Hollywood Natives
- Indian Maiden
- Lost Tribe
- Magical Native American
- The Savage Indian
- Tonto Talk
- Native Americans
- Anime Land
- The Idiot from Osaka
- Japanese Politeness
- Japanese Ranguage
- Japanese Tourist
- Japan Takes Over the World
- All Jews Are Ashkenazi
- All Jews Are Cheapskates
- Badass Israeli
- Greedy Jew
- Jewish and Nerdy
- Jews Love to Argue
- Matzo Fever
- Fake Russian
- Glorious Mother Russia
- Husky Russkie
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong
- Russian Guy Suffers Most
- That Russian Squat Dance
- Vodka Drunkenski
Maybe you will find it entertaining. I personally didn’t make it past 2 episodes. The characters seemed far too 1-dimensional and they’re believability in the toilet. But who knows, maybe 2 episodes wasn’t a fair enough amount of time to asses it.
I am okay with it so far, but then I have a special place in my heart for that particular premise. The movie upon which it is based is one of my favs. I don’t think the show does the movie justice, but I have yet to decide an overall impression yet.
I will say that if it’s only been 25 years since motherfucking angels just randomly appeared and laid waste to the entire fucking Earth, and are STILL hanging around them, then they all seem rather nonchalant about it… lol
It’s just a flesh wound.
The single greatest scene in cinematic history.
The cat’s like WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU BRING HOME
I will always share this LOL
I relate on a spiritual level with the absolute fury in that cat’s face in the last gif
That is the best look of “I will murder you in your sleep for this” I have ever seen.
that’s it that’s the whole argument.
That’s literally the best way i’ve ever seen to describe it.
Stop it, okay? Stop fucking up my channel, and stop missing out on the money you are losing because you haven’t figured out this channel’s market. Do you really hate our demographic so much or is this just failure to understand us?
Some major points to keep in mind when you stare at your spreadsheets and ledgers in confusion and dismay - because you BOUGHT the Syfy Channel for a reason and it wasn’t to lose the money you keep losing. Pay attention, okay?
1. If Nielsen-Families watched Science Fiction/Fantasy with any regularity (or rabidity), the Syfy Channel would not exist - why? Because we’d all already be watching all the other stupid channels in existence rather than clinging to the one bastion left for cerebral and non-conformist content. We rarely watch those channels because we can’t - why? Because the content we love IS RARELY ON THOSE CHANNELS so STOP PUTTING YOUR STUPID IDIOTIC regular “shows for the masses” ON OUR CHANNEL.
2. If Nielsen-Family ratings were accurate then viewers who watch Syfy shows don’t actually like Sci-Fi or Fantasy, but we love the reality tv shows on that channel. This is such an absurd interpretation of the data that I cannot even believe it has to be pointed out how the RIGHT interpretation is that the only shows on the SyFy channel that Nielsen-Families (rather than the Syfy demographic) are the ones viewing are the reality tv shows being aired - why? Because Nielsen-Family viewers ARE NOT the demographic for Syfy.
3. If Nielsen-Family viewers are who NBC, parent company of Syfy, is going to market to on the Syfy channel then the Syfy channel will turn into something other than a channel for Science-Fiction and Fantasy - which is, I think, rather the anti-purpose of the channel.
4. The average sic-fi/fantasy viewer does not watch their content live. We watch it via DVR, download, streaming. Learn how to capture these numbers or fail to ever know we exist - and miss the market opportunity we represent. Do you think we swarm into San Diego every year because we don’t spend our money on our Sci-Fi/Fantasy products and merchandise? Stop being idiots. We spend BILLIONS, not millions, on the products and merchandise - the entirety of the Sci-Fi entertainment INDUSTRY exists because of us.
5. The average non-SciFi/Fantasy viewer might purchase DVDs for a favorite TV show as well as a few related items of paraphernalia every now and then. The average Sci-Fi/Fantasy viewer will purchase ALL DVDs as well as the same content in digital format on multiple platforms, will see the movie multiple times, will buy the movies in multiple formats, will purchase related collectibles, costumes, auctioned set items, comic books, concept art, will attend fan gatherings, will read/write related fanfic decades afterwards - and will watch a new tv show for no other reason than it has a cast member from some other favorite tv show and will start the cycle all over again. So here’s a question for you - WHY DO YOU MARKET TO EVERYONE OTHER THAN US? Are you really so stupid as to not have learned anything from the original Star Trek series’ phenomenon? Have you really not comprehended JUST HOW MUCH MONEY THERE IS TO BE MADE when you conform to your market rather than trying to force your demographic to conform to your marketing?
6. Unlike the mindless masses, the average Sci-Fi/Fantasy viewer is NOT someone who will conform to the standard method for just about anything. We are, habitually, both forward thinking as well as inherently lazy. We don’t watch live-tv very often because we find it cumbersome and inconvenient to our schedules - and since we’re spending our money on BUYING the content anyway it is a bonus that we get to avoid the inane commercials.
7. Your average Sci-Fi/Fantasy viewer will GLADLY pay just about ANY price to avoid watching commercials. We will deal with the commercials if we have to - but I kid you not - we will pay money to view a show without commercials no matter how many free ways to view-with-commercials might exist. When you fail to understand this you fail to market to us - when you fail to market to us you lose money - when you lose money you cancel shows - when you cancel shows you lose more money. All of that cycle is what the television business is and you CONSTANTLY miss countless opportunities to market to us and earn the revenue we want to give to you - revenue we WANT TO WILLINGLY AND EXUBERANTLY give to you.
I mean, seriously. All of this is ridiculously obvious. Why don’t you leave Syfy to its business so they can make money for you rather than dictating the insanity to lose money? Forget the question of why do you hate us - hell, why do you hate money?
An irritated and disillusioned Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan.
I’ve started watching Dominion…this show is either going to be fabulously epic or it will piss me off for having the ability to be fabulously epic and going the way of stupid mediocrity. It’s a syfy original series…so…really, it could go either way…
Premise: God has disappeared and the angels blame humanity. Archangel Gabriel leads the angel faction against humans and lays waste to the earth. Archangel Michael defends humanity and helps protect the few strongholds that are left.
The main character is an unwilling “Chosen One” meant to be the savior of humanity in the ongoing battles. Anthony Head (aka Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) plays a power-hungry human who sees the Chosen One as a threat to his power play for control over the city of Vega (what used to be Las Vegas, NV).
So, you know, with what this show can be I just have no words…but then I remember it’s on Syfy…and that’s a whole rant on its own. All I will say at the moment is this - NBC, Syfy’s parent company, needs to step the fuck back on the Nielsen-Family ratings model when it comes to this channel. It does not apply and never has - refusing to do so means a long-term eventuality that Syfy becomes a channel full of nothing but quirky-themed reality shows if it continues to exist at all.
Haha. Those are good trademarks!
Lol! Right? Also, *flail* I love when people read tags!
Acephobia in the LGBT+ Community from the documentary (A)sexuality.
It is just…so fucking weird how threatened people feel when it comes to Asexuality. I still can’t wrap my mind around it.
I’m so happy this post is being reblogged by LBGT+ people who aren’t asexual. I keep on reading posts by non-ace LGBT+ people of support to the ace community, and of being stunned by this reaction by a movement which should know better than to judge. AND THAT MAKES THIS ACE SO FREAKING HAPPY. The woman in the first photo expresses my sentiment. I know I belong in the queer/LGBTQIA movement. I want to belong. But I just don’t know if I’m welcome. I’m so happy that there are so many people on Tumblr who do not fall into the catagory of outright refusal of asexuality.
I know not a lot of people understand asexuality. And I know there’s confusion about it, about our experiences, and about how we fit in the movement. But let’s talk about this. Let’s have this conversation.
I mostly don’t delve into the ace tags, but I hear there’s a lot of ace-hate that and I really don’t get it. I don’t understand how asexuality is threatening.
You know what I (as a queer ace-spectrum person) find most threatening? Getting unwanted sexual unwanted advances from both queer and straight people. I’ve gotten them from people of all spectrums and it always makes me profoundly uncomfortable, and often unsafe. It just boggles my mind how people are upset by the concept of asexuality. That’s like getting really mad at someone who isn’t hungry. What’s the point? Just shut up eat your own sandwich. (And stop chewing on me.)
Wow, the fuck the people in those images.
Nobody has the right to disrespect anybody else’s sense of self. It may not be for, you but that does not give you the right to be an asshole.
We really need to push more for LGBTQIA+ to be a standard, instead of just LGBT, especially considering that even the B and T are already invisible in much of the community.
Not supporting some of us = not supporting all of us.
Not supporting some of us = not supporting all of us.
It really, really does bear repeating.
I couldn’t be further from ace, but for serious.
If we’re not in this together, we’re not in this at all.
This makes me so angry. I have friends who are ace, and they are just as much a part of the queer community as I am.
We need to embrace asexuality and treat it with the respect that it deserves.
Wow. I have no idea what “ace” is or any of that, but I do know this - anyone in the LGBT community, or in ANY minority community, who would show such prejudice does not deserve to enjoy the freedoms won by those who preceded them.
- If you are HIV-negative, PEP and PrEP can help you stay that way.
- If you are HIV-positive, PEP and PrEP can help protect your partners.
PrEP is a daily pill that can help keep you HIV-negative as long as you take it every day.
- Ask your doctor if PrEP (Pre-exposure Prophylaxis) may be right for you.
- Condoms give you additional protection against HIV, other sexually transmitted infections, and unintended pregnancy.
If you are HIV-negative and think you were exposed to HIV, immediately go to a clinic or emergency room and ask for PEP (Post-exposure Prophylaxis).
- PEP can stop HIV if started within 36 hours of exposure.
- You continue taking PEP for 28 days.
Many insurance plans including Medicaid cover PEP and PrEP. Assistance may be available if you are uninsured. Visit NYC Health’s website to find out where to get PrEP or PEP in New York City.
This is such a giant step that barely any people know about it seems, so amazing to see progress in the treatment of HIV
I honestly thought this might be exaggeration but the CDC says that PrEP is 92% effective. Damn. Damn.
reblogging because this deserves waaaay more attention D:
Holy shit this is some important stuff right here. Please reblog this as a signal boost - it’s insane how little people know about HIV/AIDS these days. Some of you are wayyyy too young to remember when HIV was as scary a a virus as Ebola - so yes this is a massive advancement. But if no one knows about the virus or what can be done about it then it’ll be like it was when I was in my early 20s - a time when there was nothing that could be done to treat HIV infection, and the only way to prevent it was to practice abstinence in order not to contract it. Go science!